Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thing 20

I checked out the librar sites on my space. I thought it was interesting that some of the comments were the same for both libraries. I also noticed that both libraries had imbedded the search engines for their library this I noticed is a good use of the space. I like the homework help section that the libraries offered. The idea of connecting with teens is a very good way for libraries to connect with their current and future customers. Kids who use the library system turn into adults who will use the library systems. Just for fun I searched out some of the names of some of my current students and some of my former students. It was interesting to see that some of them blocked their page to their friends and some of them left their pages open so that anyone could look at them. I was surprized to see that they could put down their sexual orientation and their religions. It was also interesting that whenever some of their friends posted a message that their pictures went up next to their messages. I was also surprized that one of the messages even included someone's cell phone number. I also found that one of my students posting lied about their age. I think that this is a great way to social network but I still feel that the amount of personal information about these kids out there can be a potential danger. I was able to find some of these kids just by typing in their names and then narrowing the search to the area my town is in. I like that you can post pictures and have a blog in the same location but I am still not sure that the benefits would outweigh the personal information floating around out there. I also felt that when I looked at the libraries pages there was so much information out there that is was confusing to look at. I know that these kids are used to that but as a newcomer I thought it was very busy. I guess I still like the old fashioned web page format with links to exactly what you are looking for.

No comments: