Friday, March 28, 2008

Thing 18

I liked checking out the videos but I wouldn't be able to use this at school because it is blocked. I checked out the suggested videos and that got me thinking about my favorite commercial from the past and I found a version of it out there. Did you know Barry Manilow wrote the band aid song? I also wanted to check out a music video just for the heck of it and found one of my favorite songs on video and decided to post that as well. I hope to go to school tomorrow and see if I can open the embedded link or if I will be blocked. I will be interested to find out if you remove the video from You Tube if a blocker will catch it. When I searched under band aid I got the old band aid christmas video for world aid from the 80's. I found I had to search using band aid commercials. I also got a list of home made commercials that people made for fun or for school projects. I have some questions about this service though. I notice and know from friends postings that anyone can post anything at this site. What are the copyright liabilities of posting something on the site. For example that library video that used "Final Countdown" as background music. I was always under the understanding that if you are making a video that you can't use popular copyright music without permission and I didn't see any permission or credits listed on that page. I know that generally if you are doing a video for personal reasons that you are typically not going to have any problems because you are typically just sharing the video with family and friends and there really is no public performance yet I would still be concerned about copytright, (I am talking about a graduation or a anniversary type video that people frequently make to remember a special occasion), but once you post the video out there on you tube is that a violation of copyright if you took a song from a cd or your i-tunes library? Also, when I looked at the music videos and tried to trace the person who posted it I got someones personal page not a public location. Where did they get the video and did they have permission to pubically post it? These are some questions that I have because I would be very hesitant to publish anything that had pieces borrowed from other locations. I also thought it would be fun to post my own video that I took last week but I kept trying and got error messages so I may try another time.

No comments: