Monday, March 24, 2008

Thing 17

I checked out the Gale site and this is a great site for students and teachers who need information on current topics. I did the search suggested and followed the directions to try and get it to my google reader and I got error messages. I tried to put it in at a later date and the link to copy the information to the reader didn't even work the second time I tried. I would use this in the classroom with my 6th graders when they are doing research that they need a lot of current topic information. Currently our school doesn't have computer time for these searches so this is not a tool that I teach the students about. With my new media center we may have more computer time for research for students so that this would be a tool that I would teach teachers how to use with their students. I went right to it and I don't know if that is because the software remembered my computer from watching the webinar earlier but I would definately want to pursue how to log in at school without having to have the students have their library cards with them. I also like how when you access the article you can e-mail it, download it, and change the language it is in. I didn't like that you can't back out of gale to get back to minitex's page. I found out my problem with getting info to my reader was that I had pop ups blocked because I wasn't able to look at my ebsco web page without the pop ups enabled. I don't like that idea. I created a quick web page and saved it to my desktop. Proquest made it very easy to do a search of recent articles and send them to someone. Again I had to disable my pop up blocker which makes it more difficult to use. Again I would use the proquest with my students to help then get current infomation. I also checked out e-library and this was a great site with an easy way to search content that is relevant to your search and by typing in terms you can get right to the information that you want. I would use this with students to help them find a specific piece of information in a larger context. I didn't log in to add notes because I am getting tired of having new logins everywhere. If this is something I will use later I will get a login at that time. I did like the fact that you can add notes for the article so that you can come back to it later and see your notes. Great for research. There are a lot of good things to use at the elm site but my students haven't had the opportunity to use computers for their research very often so we have not used these resources in the past and I hope to start using them more in the future.

No comments: